Tuesday, May 19, 2009

artist dilemma

how to convey what moves me the most? The moments of such clarity and intensity, walking through the city at midnight, fog drifting its tendrils over everything, street-lights hovering, casting tom-waits shadows on the pavement. Jasmine blooming and glowing bay windows hinting at their jewel-toned secrets. The wet tang of the air that wakes me up and makes me know that I'm in a coastal town, throwing me into nostalgic memory-drift and making me soul-hungry. How to translate that into art? How to take these transcendental cookies of time and share them, bring someone else in to feel that same moment, or inspire them to remember one of their own. Michael Shankman can do it, at least, he can for me, but I feel ill-equipped to follow his lead. City-scapes impress and intimidate me, and maybe that right there is a reason to pursue them, but I'll admit the prospect overwhelms me--I don't know where to begin--plus I feel like I've already met the master. Big sighs. It is both exhilarating and frustrating... to feel so moved and fascinated by this city; by all its private moments of beauty, but to also feel so incapable of using and translating that energy into something tangible. It's like an itch in the mind...

at least I can SEE the transcendental brilliance at all...next, what to DO about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment